The Cormorant is the third book in Chuck Wendig’s Miriam Black series. (The first two are Blackbirds and Mockingbird.) These books are intriguing and well-written, as well as entertaining as hell given that Miriam is prone to speaking her mind and she has an extensive vocabulary, as well as the power to tell when people are going to die. The third book didn’t disappoint at all, as Miriam answers a Craigslist ad and finds herself tangled up in a messy plot for revenge against her. The FBI shows up for some reason, and, also bizarre, Miriam reaches a sort of rapprochement with her mother, from whom she’s been estranged for a very long time. The author manages to combine the supernatural with a tightly told, well-written tale that brings Miriam to life in a way few characters manage. She is ultimately, to the end, herself – scarred, scared, tough, angry, and always ready to get up off the floor and take another shot.
Laura is Louisiana born and raised, and now lives in the Greater Washington DC Metropolitan area, where she landed after forays to Hawaii, Florida, Texas, and Colorado. She has a BA in Political Science, an MS in Project Management, and an MS in Information Systems Security, but that's only because she failed to find a program in Voracious Book Consumption.
She dreams of writing a terrible paranormal romance one day, but knows that chances are slim she'll actually get there. Meanwhile she works in Cybersecurity and enhances her crazy cat lady skillz.
She is still not a robot. But then a robot would say that, right?
Permanent link to this article: https://www.thefrumiousconsortium.net/2015/01/06/the-cormorant-miriam-black-by-chuck-wendig/
- Cold Water by Dave Hutchinson January 28, 2023
- Come Away From Her by Samuel W. Gailey January 26, 2023
- The Moon Tonight: Our Moon’s Journey Around Earth by Jung Chang-hoon & Jang Ho January 24, 2023
- The Space Between Worlds by Micaiah Johnson January 20, 2023
- Paris Hide-And-Seek by Masumi January 17, 2023
- The Romanovs by Simon Sebag Montefiore January 15, 2023
- Not Saying Goodbye by Boris Akunin January 13, 2023
- The Loud House Vol 17: Sibling Rivalry by The Loud House Creative Team January 12, 2023
- Nothing But Blackened Teeth by Cassandra Khaw January 11, 2023
- The Love Match by Priyanka Taslim January 6, 2023
- Al Singh
- Doug Merrill
- Doreen Sheridan
- John Pitzel
- Lars N. Goldschlager
- L.M. Davenport
- Laura Eilers
- Professor X
- Robert Maedgen
- Sylvere Ap Leanan
- The Shire