I admit that I was prepared to not like this book. It concerns a Christian pastor being sent to the first inhabitable planet found by humankind so that he can minister to the alien species already living there, but I quickly discovered that that was an extremely simplistic view of the story. What I had expected to be a boring read, or an annoying read, or perhaps a non-read if I put it down and never picked it up again, quickly turned into an I’m interested read. This is a book very much about people – their personalities, their relationships, their abilities to encompass certain amounts and types of information, and also their frailties. There were several unexpected heart-wrenching turns to the story, and while this is most definitely a science fiction novel, it’s one that deals with the ramifications of science as it relates to human (and alien) existence, and not just thrusters on full.
Laura is Louisiana born and raised, and now lives in the Greater Washington DC Metropolitan area, where she landed after forays to Hawaii, Florida, Texas, and Colorado. She has a BA in Political Science, an MS in Project Management, and an MS in Information Systems Security, but that's only because she failed to find a program in Voracious Book Consumption.
She dreams of writing a terrible paranormal romance one day, but knows that chances are slim she'll actually get there. Meanwhile she works in Cybersecurity and enhances her crazy cat lady skillz.
She is still not a robot. But then a robot would say that, right?
Permanent link to this article: https://www.thefrumiousconsortium.net/2015/01/04/the-book-of-strange-new-things-a-novel-by-michel-faber/
- Gnomon by Nick Harkaway, Pt. 2 September 24, 2021
- Gutter Mage by J.S. Kelley September 23, 2021
- Gnomon by Nick Harkaway, Pt. 1 September 22, 2021
- Iyanu: Child Of Wonder Volume 1 by Roye Okupe & Godwin Akpan September 21, 2021
- From Page to Screen: Dune September 20, 2021
- Descending Figure by Louise Glück September 19, 2021
- Fletcher and Zenobia by Victoria Chess and Edward Gorey September 18, 2021
- From The Neck Up by Aliya Whiteley September 17, 2021
- Rooms Of The Mind by Makenzie Campbell September 16, 2021
- Poe For Your Problems: Uncommon Advice From History’s Least Likely Self-Help Guru by Catherine Baab-Muguira September 15, 2021
- Al Singh
- Doug Merrill
- Doreen Sheridan
- John Pitzel
- Lars N. Goldschlager
- L.M. Davenport
- Laura Eilers
- Professor X
- Robert Maedgen
- Sylvere Ap Leanan
- The Shire