I was hesitant about these books, to be honest. There’s so much urban fantasy out there and new ideas seem difficult to come up with, or doing the old ideas with a new twist. I’m glad that I read both books, however. Marcella Burnard has managed to take tattoos, demons, magic, and evil angels, and put them into a new setting, one that’s interesting in itself, not just within the story. There are some tropes in there that will be familiar, but at this point in the genre’s history it’s almost impossible to avoid those. Overall I was pleasantly surprised with the story, which kept my interest and has me looking forward to the third book in the series. If you’re looking for a good way to spend a couple-three hours, these would be a good choice. The writing is still a little rough, but I can see that the author is going places with her world.
Laura is Louisiana born and raised, and now lives in the Greater Washington DC Metropolitan area, where she landed after forays to Hawaii, Florida, Texas, and Colorado. She has a BA in Political Science, an MS in Project Management, and an MS in Information Systems Security, but that's only because she failed to find a program in Voracious Book Consumption.
She dreams of writing a terrible paranormal romance one day, but knows that chances are slim she'll actually get there. Meanwhile she works in Cybersecurity and enhances her crazy cat lady skillz.
She is still not a robot. But then a robot would say that, right?
Permanent link to this article: https://www.thefrumiousconsortium.net/2014/12/22/nightmare-ink-and-bound-by-ink-by-marcella-burnard/
- Magical History Tour #7: Gandhi, Soldier Of Peace by Fabrice Erre & Sylvain Savoia January 26, 2022
- Good Rich People by Eliza Jane Brazier January 25, 2022
- Swords in the Mist by Fritz Leiber January 24, 2022
- Say Goodbye by Lewis Shiner January 21, 2022
- The Long Sunset by Jack McDevitt January 17, 2022
- Looking Back on 2021 January 13, 2022
- The Ivory Key (The Ivory Key Duology #1) by Akshaya Raman January 12, 2022
- The Smurf Tales Vol 3: The Crow In Smurfy Grove And Other Stories by Peyo January 11, 2022
- Cinder The Fireplace Boy: And Other Gayly Grimm Tales (Rewoven Tales) by Ana Mardoll January 10, 2022
- Taking Stock of 2021 January 7, 2022
- Al Singh
- Doug Merrill
- Doreen Sheridan
- John Pitzel
- Lars N. Goldschlager
- L.M. Davenport
- Laura Eilers
- Professor X
- Robert Maedgen
- Sylvere Ap Leanan
- The Shire