The Third Bear is a somewhat unsettling collection of short stories by Jeff VanderMeer. I’ve been trying to find a way to classify this book, and it’s defying me. The stories within range from bizarre to creepy to unnerving, and they took my mind to pictures and ideas that I wouldn’t normally have found on my own. That in itself makes it a worthwhile book, because being introduced to new concepts and landscapes is the whole point of reading, at least for me. This review won’t do the collection any justice whatsoever, because all I can say is that it’s worth reading and it’s worth reading soon – just be prepared to be unnerved.
Laura is Louisiana born and raised, and now lives in the Greater Washington DC Metropolitan area, where she landed after forays to Hawaii, Florida, Texas, and Colorado. She has a BA in Political Science, an MS in Project Management, and an MS in Information Systems Security, but that's only because she failed to find a program in Voracious Book Consumption.
She dreams of writing a terrible paranormal romance one day, but knows that chances are slim she'll actually get there. Meanwhile she works in Cybersecurity and enhances her crazy cat lady skillz.
She is still not a robot. But then a robot would say that, right?
Permanent link to this article: http://www.thefrumiousconsortium.net/2015/01/11/the-third-bear-by-jeff-vandermeer/
- Al Singh
- Doug Merrill
- Doreen Sheridan
- An Interview With Lauren Duca, author of How To Start A Revolution
- The Spider Dance by Nick Setchfield
- A Blade So Black (The Nightmare-Verse #1) by L.L. McKinney
- How to Start a Revolution: Young People and the Future of American Politics by Lauren Duca
- Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women #1) by Evie Dunmore
- Ed Ott
- John Pitzel
- Lars N. Goldschlager
- L.M. Davenport
- Laura Eilers
- Maou Tsaou
- Professor X
- Robert Maedgen
- Sylvere Ap Leanan
- The Shire
- Seven Surrenders by Ada Palmer December 8, 2019
- Luna by Ian McDonald December 7, 2019
- Herrn Dames Aufzeichnungen by Franziska Gräfin zu Reventlow December 6, 2019
- 1968: The Year That Rocked the World by Mark Kurlansky December 3, 2019
- A Symphony of Echoes by Jodi Taylor November 30, 2019
- An Interview With Lauren Duca, author of How To Start A Revolution November 27, 2019
- More Becoming by Michelle Obama November 26, 2019
- The Spider Dance by Nick Setchfield November 18, 2019
- Legacy of Ashes by Tim Weiner November 17, 2019
- Süden und der Strassenbahntrinker by Friedrich Ani November 12, 2019