The Third Bear is a somewhat unsettling collection of short stories by Jeff VanderMeer. I’ve been trying to find a way to classify this book, and it’s defying me. The stories within range from bizarre to creepy to unnerving, and they took my mind to pictures and ideas that I wouldn’t normally have found on my own. That in itself makes it a worthwhile book, because being introduced to new concepts and landscapes is the whole point of reading, at least for me. This review won’t do the collection any justice whatsoever, because all I can say is that it’s worth reading and it’s worth reading soon – just be prepared to be unnerved.
Laura is Louisiana born and raised, and now lives in the Greater Washington DC Metropolitan area, where she landed after forays to Hawaii, Florida, Texas, and Colorado. She has a BA in Political Science, an MS in Project Management, and an MS in Information Systems Security, but that's only because she failed to find a program in Voracious Book Consumption.
She dreams of writing a terrible paranormal romance one day, but knows that chances are slim she'll actually get there. Meanwhile she works in Cybersecurity and enhances her crazy cat lady skillz.
She is still not a robot. But then a robot would say that, right?
Permanent link to this article: http://www.thefrumiousconsortium.net/2015/01/11/the-third-bear-by-jeff-vandermeer/
- Al Singh
- Doug Merrill
- Doreen Sheridan
- The Loosening Skin by Aliya Whiteley
- European Travel for the Monstrous Gentlewoman (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club #2) by Theodora Goss
- Firefly: Big Damn Hero by Nancy Holder and James Lovegrove
- Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns #1) by Kendare Blake
- An Interview with Aliya Whiteley, author of The Arrival Of Missives
- Ed Ott
- John Pitzel
- Lars N. Goldschlager
- L.M. Davenport
- Laura Eilers
- Maou Tsaou
- Professor X
- Robert Maedgen
- Sylvere Ap Leanan
- The Shire
- The Loosening Skin by Aliya Whiteley December 12, 2018
- European Travel for the Monstrous Gentlewoman (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club #2) by Theodora Goss December 11, 2018
- Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff December 9, 2018
- A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles December 7, 2018
- Night of Stone by Catherine Merridale December 2, 2018
- Crosstalk by Connie Willis November 30, 2018
- Maria Stuart by Friedrich Schiller November 29, 2018
- The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps by Kai Ashante Wilson November 28, 2018
- Firefly: Big Damn Hero by Nancy Holder and James Lovegrove November 28, 2018
- Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns #1) by Kendare Blake November 18, 2018