The Third Bear is a somewhat unsettling collection of short stories by Jeff VanderMeer. I’ve been trying to find a way to classify this book, and it’s defying me. The stories within range from bizarre to creepy to unnerving, and they took my mind to pictures and ideas that I wouldn’t normally have found on my own. That in itself makes it a worthwhile book, because being introduced to new concepts and landscapes is the whole point of reading, at least for me. This review won’t do the collection any justice whatsoever, because all I can say is that it’s worth reading and it’s worth reading soon – just be prepared to be unnerved.
Laura is Louisiana born and raised, and now lives in the Greater Washington DC Metropolitan area, where she landed after forays to Hawaii, Florida, Texas, and Colorado. She has a BA in Political Science, an MS in Project Management, and an MS in Information Systems Security, but that's only because she failed to find a program in Voracious Book Consumption.
She dreams of writing a terrible paranormal romance one day, but knows that chances are slim she'll actually get there. Meanwhile she works in Cybersecurity and enhances her crazy cat lady skillz.
She is still not a robot. But then a robot would say that, right?
Permanent link to this article: http://www.thefrumiousconsortium.net/2015/01/11/the-third-bear-by-jeff-vandermeer/
- Al Singh
- Doug Merrill
- Doreen Sheridan
- Ed Ott
- John Pitzel
- Lars N. Goldschlager
- L.M. Davenport
- Laura Eilers
- Maou Tsaou
- Professor X
- Robert Maedgen
- Sylvere Ap Leanan
- The Shire
- Sweet Dreams by Tricia Sullivan July 23, 2019
- Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse July 22, 2019
- Tauben im Gras by Wolfgang Koeppen July 21, 2019
- The Night Manager by John Le Carré July 21, 2019
- The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal July 20, 2019
- Welcome to Lagos by Chibundu Onuzo July 19, 2019
- Two Dark Reigns (Three Dark Crowns #3) by Kendare Blake July 10, 2019
- The Record Keeper by Agnes Gomillion June 26, 2019
- Off to the Wabe June 23, 2019
- My Real Children by Jo Walton June 22, 2019