I was hesitant about these books, to be honest. There’s so much urban fantasy out there and new ideas seem difficult to come up with, or doing the old ideas with a new twist. I’m glad that I read both books, however. Marcella Burnard has managed to take tattoos, demons, magic, and evil angels, and put them into a new setting, one that’s interesting in itself, not just within the story. There are some tropes in there that will be familiar, but at this point in the genre’s history it’s almost impossible to avoid those. Overall I was pleasantly surprised with the story, which kept my interest and has me looking forward to the third book in the series. If you’re looking for a good way to spend a couple-three hours, these would be a good choice. The writing is still a little rough, but I can see that the author is going places with her world.
Laura is Louisiana born and raised, and now lives in the Greater Washington DC Metropolitan area, where she landed after forays to Hawaii, Florida, Texas, and Colorado. She has a BA in Political Science, an MS in Project Management, and an MS in Information Systems Security, but that's only because she failed to find a program in Voracious Book Consumption.
She dreams of writing a terrible paranormal romance one day, but knows that chances are slim she'll actually get there. Meanwhile she works in Cybersecurity and enhances her crazy cat lady skillz.
She is still not a robot. But then a robot would say that, right?
Permanent link to this article: http://www.thefrumiousconsortium.net/2014/12/22/nightmare-ink-and-bound-by-ink-by-marcella-burnard/
- Al Singh
- Doug Merrill
- Doreen Sheridan
- Ed Ott
- John Pitzel
- Lars N. Goldschlager
- Laura Eilers
- Maou Tsaou
- Professor X
- Robert Maedgen
- Sylvere Ap Leanan
- The Shire
- The Frangipani Tree Mystery (Crown Colony #1) by Ovidia Yu December 16, 2017
- Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons, #1) by Leigh Bardugo December 13, 2017
- Stand Still, Stay Silent: Book 1 by Minna Sundberg December 10, 2017
- The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle December 8, 2017
- Conversations with Stalin by Milovan Djilas December 7, 2017
- A Taste of Honey by Kai Ashante Wilson December 7, 2017
- Premature Evaluation: Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman December 6, 2017
- The Sinner by Petra Hammesfahr December 6, 2017
- Morning Star (Red Rising #3) by Pierce Brown December 4, 2017
- Night Watch by Terry Pratchett November 29, 2017