I was hesitant about these books, to be honest. There’s so much urban fantasy out there and new ideas seem difficult to come up with, or doing the old ideas with a new twist. I’m glad that I read both books, however. Marcella Burnard has managed to take tattoos, demons, magic, and evil angels, and put them into a new setting, one that’s interesting in itself, not just within the story. There are some tropes in there that will be familiar, but at this point in the genre’s history it’s almost impossible to avoid those. Overall I was pleasantly surprised with the story, which kept my interest and has me looking forward to the third book in the series. If you’re looking for a good way to spend a couple-three hours, these would be a good choice. The writing is still a little rough, but I can see that the author is going places with her world.
Laura is Louisiana born and raised, and now lives in the Greater Washington DC Metropolitan area, where she landed after forays to Hawaii, Florida, Texas, and Colorado. She has a BA in Political Science, an MS in Project Management, and an MS in Information Systems Security, but that's only because she failed to find a program in Voracious Book Consumption.
She dreams of writing a terrible paranormal romance one day, but knows that chances are slim she'll actually get there. Meanwhile she works in Cybersecurity and enhances her crazy cat lady skillz.
She is still not a robot. But then a robot would say that, right?
Permanent link to this article: http://www.thefrumiousconsortium.net/2014/12/22/nightmare-ink-and-bound-by-ink-by-marcella-burnard/
- Al Singh
- Doug Merrill
- Doreen Sheridan
- Ed Ott
- John Pitzel
- Lars N. Goldschlager
- L.M. Davenport
- Laura Eilers
- Maou Tsaou
- Professor X
- Robert Maedgen
- Sylvere Ap Leanan
- The Shire
- Der Vater eines Mörders by Alfred Andersch June 17, 2019
- The Privilege of the Sword by Ellen Kushner June 15, 2019
- A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge June 15, 2019
- An Interview With G. S. Denning, author of The Sign Of Nine June 14, 2019
- Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor June 13, 2019
- Wastelands 3: The New Apocalypse edited by John Joseph Adams June 4, 2019
- The Lovely And The Lost by Jennifer Lynn Barnes June 2, 2019
- The House of Unexpected Sisters by Alexander McCall Smith May 31, 2019
- Hoisted from comments: Father Boyd May 27, 2019
- One Dark Throne (Three Dark Crowns #2) by Kendare Blake May 26, 2019