I was hesitant about these books, to be honest. There’s so much urban fantasy out there and new ideas seem difficult to come up with, or doing the old ideas with a new twist. I’m glad that I read both books, however. Marcella Burnard has managed to take tattoos, demons, magic, and evil angels, and put them into a new setting, one that’s interesting in itself, not just within the story. There are some tropes in there that will be familiar, but at this point in the genre’s history it’s almost impossible to avoid those. Overall I was pleasantly surprised with the story, which kept my interest and has me looking forward to the third book in the series. If you’re looking for a good way to spend a couple-three hours, these would be a good choice. The writing is still a little rough, but I can see that the author is going places with her world.
Laura is Louisiana born and raised, and now lives in the Greater Washington DC Metropolitan area, where she landed after forays to Hawaii, Florida, Texas, and Colorado. She has a BA in Political Science, an MS in Project Management, and an MS in Information Systems Security, but that's only because she failed to find a program in Voracious Book Consumption.
She dreams of writing a terrible paranormal romance one day, but knows that chances are slim she'll actually get there. Meanwhile she works in Cybersecurity and enhances her crazy cat lady skillz.
She is still not a robot. But then a robot would say that, right?
Permanent link to this article: http://www.thefrumiousconsortium.net/2014/12/22/nightmare-ink-and-bound-by-ink-by-marcella-burnard/
- Al Singh
- Doug Merrill
- Doreen Sheridan
- Ed Ott
- John Pitzel
- Lars N. Goldschlager
- L.M. Davenport
- Laura Eilers
- Maou Tsaou
- Professor X
- Robert Maedgen
- Sylvere Ap Leanan
- The Shire
- Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff December 9, 2018
- A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles December 7, 2018
- Night of Stone by Catherine Merridale December 2, 2018
- Crosstalk by Connie Willis November 30, 2018
- Maria Stuart by Friedrich Schiller November 29, 2018
- The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps by Kai Ashante Wilson November 28, 2018
- Firefly: Big Damn Hero by Nancy Holder and James Lovegrove November 28, 2018
- Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns #1) by Kendare Blake November 18, 2018
- An Interview with Aliya Whiteley, author of The Arrival Of Missives November 8, 2018
- Vicious (Villains #1) by V.E. Schwab November 8, 2018