Margaritte is a 16-year old girl of mixed heritage – Apache, Chickasaw, Cherokee, and white. She lives in the underprivileged town of Idaho Springs, Colorado, and deals with an alcoholic father and an ineffectual mother in addition to the pressures of trying to avoid becoming a statistic. The author speaks with an authentic voice that penetrates, that reveals the depth of the difficulties that Margaritte faces as she works for a future that is a future and not just a repeat of being trapped in the cycle of poverty that plagues Native Americans. Margaritte is a very accessible character. The writing is raw and doesn’t hold any punches, so you understand exactly what Margaritte’s life is like and how difficult her chosen goals are. I recommend this book for young adults and adults both. It’s good, and thought-provoking.
Laura is Louisiana born and raised, and now lives in the Greater Washington DC Metropolitan area, where she landed after forays to Hawaii, Florida, Texas, and Colorado. She has a BA in Political Science, an MS in Project Management, and an MS in Information Systems Security, but that's only because she failed to find a program in Voracious Book Consumption.
She dreams of writing a terrible paranormal romance one day, but knows that chances are slim she'll actually get there. Meanwhile she works in Cybersecurity and enhances her crazy cat lady skillz.
She is still not a robot. But then a robot would say that, right?
Permanent link to this article: http://www.thefrumiousconsortium.net/2015/01/22/crazy-horses-girlfriend-by-erika-t-wurth/
- Al Singh
- Doug Merrill
- Doreen Sheridan
- The Loosening Skin by Aliya Whiteley
- European Travel for the Monstrous Gentlewoman (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club #2) by Theodora Goss
- Firefly: Big Damn Hero by Nancy Holder and James Lovegrove
- Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns #1) by Kendare Blake
- An Interview with Aliya Whiteley, author of The Arrival Of Missives
- Ed Ott
- John Pitzel
- Lars N. Goldschlager
- L.M. Davenport
- Laura Eilers
- Maou Tsaou
- Professor X
- Robert Maedgen
- Sylvere Ap Leanan
- The Shire
- The Loosening Skin by Aliya Whiteley December 12, 2018
- European Travel for the Monstrous Gentlewoman (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club #2) by Theodora Goss December 11, 2018
- Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff December 9, 2018
- A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles December 7, 2018
- Night of Stone by Catherine Merridale December 2, 2018
- Crosstalk by Connie Willis November 30, 2018
- Maria Stuart by Friedrich Schiller November 29, 2018
- The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps by Kai Ashante Wilson November 28, 2018
- Firefly: Big Damn Hero by Nancy Holder and James Lovegrove November 28, 2018
- Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns #1) by Kendare Blake November 18, 2018