I gave this book 5 stars on Goodreads because I got so caught up in it. On the surface it’s a puzzle/mystery kind of story. A female author named Senna Richards wakes up on her 33rd birthday to find herself trapped in a strange house with an emergency room doctor who once treated her and then dated her. She soon realizes that the house is itself an elaborate puzzle that will force her to face her past, and the abuses therein, before she can find her way home. This ends up being a very long process because Senna is not someone who is open to facing things; she prefers to close everything down – thought, emotion, action – and be alone rather than risk being around people. The author, in my opinion, got it right when it came to writing about abuse victims and thought processes of those who have been abused. I think that’s part of why I liked the book so much. The puzzles within the house and the mystery of who had put her there were good as well. The only disappointment I found was the twist at the end. It wasn’t a very good twist, but the book is still a good read and worth the time. Just be prepared for the discomfort of facing things like rape with very clear focus.
Laura is Louisiana born and raised, and now lives in the Greater Washington DC Metropolitan area, where she landed after forays to Hawaii, Florida, Texas, and Colorado. She has a BA in Political Science, an MS in Project Management, and an MS in Information Systems Security, but that's only because she failed to find a program in Voracious Book Consumption.
She dreams of writing a terrible paranormal romance one day, but knows that chances are slim she'll actually get there. Meanwhile she works in Cybersecurity and enhances her crazy cat lady skillz.
She is still not a robot. But then a robot would say that, right?
Permanent link to this article: http://www.thefrumiousconsortium.net/2015/01/17/mud-vein-by-tarryn-fisher/
- Al Singh
- Doug Merrill
- Doreen Sheridan
- Ed Ott
- John Pitzel
- Lars N. Goldschlager
- Laura Eilers
- Maou Tsaou
- Professor X
- Robert Maedgen
- Sylvere Ap Leanan
- The Shire
- The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett November 20, 2017
- The Daughter of Time (Inspector Grant #5) by Josephine Tey November 17, 2017
- Wilhelm Tell by Friedrich Schiller November 16, 2017
- Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson November 15, 2017
- Kill 6 Billion Demons, Book 1 by Tom Parkinson-Morgan November 13, 2017
- Bonfire by Krysten Ritter November 13, 2017
- Binti (Binti #1) by Nnedi Okorafor November 9, 2017
- The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater November 9, 2017
- Thor, Volume 1: The Goddess of Thunder by Jason Aaron November 4, 2017
- Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty November 4, 2017