I gave this book 5 stars on Goodreads because I got so caught up in it. On the surface it’s a puzzle/mystery kind of story. A female author named Senna Richards wakes up on her 33rd birthday to find herself trapped in a strange house with an emergency room doctor who once treated her and then dated her. She soon realizes that the house is itself an elaborate puzzle that will force her to face her past, and the abuses therein, before she can find her way home. This ends up being a very long process because Senna is not someone who is open to facing things; she prefers to close everything down – thought, emotion, action – and be alone rather than risk being around people. The author, in my opinion, got it right when it came to writing about abuse victims and thought processes of those who have been abused. I think that’s part of why I liked the book so much. The puzzles within the house and the mystery of who had put her there were good as well. The only disappointment I found was the twist at the end. It wasn’t a very good twist, but the book is still a good read and worth the time. Just be prepared for the discomfort of facing things like rape with very clear focus.
Laura is Louisiana born and raised, and now lives in the Greater Washington DC Metropolitan area, where she landed after forays to Hawaii, Florida, Texas, and Colorado. She has a BA in Political Science, an MS in Project Management, and an MS in Information Systems Security, but that's only because she failed to find a program in Voracious Book Consumption.
She dreams of writing a terrible paranormal romance one day, but knows that chances are slim she'll actually get there. Meanwhile she works in Cybersecurity and enhances her crazy cat lady skillz.
She is still not a robot. But then a robot would say that, right?
Permanent link to this article: http://www.thefrumiousconsortium.net/2015/01/17/mud-vein-by-tarryn-fisher/
- Al Singh
- Doug Merrill
- Doreen Sheridan
- Ed Ott
- John Pitzel
- Lars N. Goldschlager
- L.M. Davenport
- Laura Eilers
- Maou Tsaou
- Professor X
- Robert Maedgen
- Sylvere Ap Leanan
- The Shire
- A Simple Favor by Darcey Bell September 22, 2018
- Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough September 16, 2018
- From Page To Screen: Crazy Rich Asians September 14, 2018
- London: A Life in Maps by Peter Whitfield September 12, 2018
- There There by Tommy Orange September 11, 2018
- Occupy Me by Tricia Sullivan September 10, 2018
- Soviet Bus Stops, Volume II by Christopher Herwig September 8, 2018
- Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries #3) by Martha Wells September 7, 2018
- Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth September 4, 2018
- The Female Persuasion by Meg Wolitzer September 2, 2018