I gave this book 5 stars on Goodreads because I got so caught up in it. On the surface it’s a puzzle/mystery kind of story. A female author named Senna Richards wakes up on her 33rd birthday to find herself trapped in a strange house with an emergency room doctor who once treated her and then dated her. She soon realizes that the house is itself an elaborate puzzle that will force her to face her past, and the abuses therein, before she can find her way home. This ends up being a very long process because Senna is not someone who is open to facing things; she prefers to close everything down – thought, emotion, action – and be alone rather than risk being around people. The author, in my opinion, got it right when it came to writing about abuse victims and thought processes of those who have been abused. I think that’s part of why I liked the book so much. The puzzles within the house and the mystery of who had put her there were good as well. The only disappointment I found was the twist at the end. It wasn’t a very good twist, but the book is still a good read and worth the time. Just be prepared for the discomfort of facing things like rape with very clear focus.
Laura is Louisiana born and raised, and now lives in the Greater Washington DC Metropolitan area, where she landed after forays to Hawaii, Florida, Texas, and Colorado. She has a BA in Political Science, an MS in Project Management, and an MS in Information Systems Security, but that's only because she failed to find a program in Voracious Book Consumption.
She dreams of writing a terrible paranormal romance one day, but knows that chances are slim she'll actually get there. Meanwhile she works in Cybersecurity and enhances her crazy cat lady skillz.
She is still not a robot. But then a robot would say that, right?
Permanent link to this article: http://www.thefrumiousconsortium.net/2015/01/17/mud-vein-by-tarryn-fisher/
- Al Singh
- Doug Merrill
- Doreen Sheridan
- Ed Ott
- John Pitzel
- Lars N. Goldschlager
- L.M. Davenport
- Laura Eilers
- Maou Tsaou
- Professor X
- Robert Maedgen
- Sylvere Ap Leanan
- The Shire
- Above All Else by Dana Alison Levy October 26, 2020
- Of Salt And Shore by Annet Schaap October 23, 2020
- Shadows Of The Short Days by Alexander Dan Vilhjálmsson October 20, 2020
- Black Sun (Between Earth and Sky #1) by Rebecca Roanhorse October 19, 2020
- A Golden Fury by Samantha Cohoe October 16, 2020
- An Interview with J. S. Barnes, author of Dracula’s Child October 15, 2020
- The Fallen Hero (The Dragon Warrior #2) by Katie Zhao October 13, 2020
- Greensmith by Aliya Whiteley October 12, 2020
- The Dragon Warrior (The Dragon Warrior #1) by Katie Zhao October 9, 2020
- An Interview with Sharon Doering, author of She Lies Close October 8, 2020