I admit that I was prepared to not like this book. It concerns a Christian pastor being sent to the first inhabitable planet found by humankind so that he can minister to the alien species already living there, but I quickly discovered that that was an extremely simplistic view of the story. What I had expected to be a boring read, or an annoying read, or perhaps a non-read if I put it down and never picked it up again, quickly turned into an I’m interested read. This is a book very much about people – their personalities, their relationships, their abilities to encompass certain amounts and types of information, and also their frailties. There were several unexpected heart-wrenching turns to the story, and while this is most definitely a science fiction novel, it’s one that deals with the ramifications of science as it relates to human (and alien) existence, and not just thrusters on full.
Laura is Louisiana born and raised, and now lives in the Greater Washington DC Metropolitan area, where she landed after forays to Hawaii, Florida, Texas, and Colorado. She has a BA in Political Science, an MS in Project Management, and an MS in Information Systems Security, but that's only because she failed to find a program in Voracious Book Consumption.
She dreams of writing a terrible paranormal romance one day, but knows that chances are slim she'll actually get there. Meanwhile she works in Cybersecurity and enhances her crazy cat lady skillz.
She is still not a robot. But then a robot would say that, right?
Permanent link to this article: http://www.thefrumiousconsortium.net/2015/01/04/the-book-of-strange-new-things-a-novel-by-michel-faber/
- Al Singh
- Doug Merrill
- Doreen Sheridan
- An Interview with Marian Womack, author of The Golden Key
- Light of Impossible Stars (Embers of War #3) by Gareth L. Powell
- The Golden Key by Marian Womack
- Lies Sleeping (Rivers of London #7) by Ben Aaronovitch
- The Story of Flamenca: The First Modern Novel, Arranged from the Provencal Original of the Thirteenth Century by William Aspenwall Bradley
- Ed Ott
- John Pitzel
- Lars N. Goldschlager
- L.M. Davenport
- Laura Eilers
- Maou Tsaou
- Professor X
- Robert Maedgen
- Sylvere Ap Leanan
- The Shire
- An Interview with Marian Womack, author of The Golden Key February 20, 2020
- Light of Impossible Stars (Embers of War #3) by Gareth L. Powell February 18, 2020
- The Golden Key by Marian Womack February 17, 2020
- Lies Sleeping (Rivers of London #7) by Ben Aaronovitch February 14, 2020
- The Story of Flamenca: The First Modern Novel, Arranged from the Provencal Original of the Thirteenth Century by William Aspenwall Bradley February 12, 2020
- M Train by Patti Smith February 11, 2020
- Shatter the Night (Detective Gemma Monroe #4) by Emily Littlejohn February 8, 2020
- Forgotten Bastards of the Eastern Front by Serhii Plokhy February 4, 2020
- Stepping Stones: Interviews with Seamus Heaney by Dennis O’Driscoll February 2, 2020
- The Bride Test (The Kiss Quotient #2) by Helen Hoang January 31, 2020